I have tons of random fabric laying around, so I thought I’d put it to good use. This DIY really did the trick – there’s nothing like a little hand stitching to get the endorphins flowing. After it was all said & done, it only took about and hour. So, go grab some supplies & get ready – I promise it will make you feel better!
What You Need:
- 2 different colors of fabric
- A pillow you don’t mind cutting up
- A needle
- A pencil
- A stencil
- Print out an ampersand and cut it out to use as a stencil.
- Trace the stencil on your fabric.
- Carefully cut out the traced ampersand. You can use fray check at this point if you would like to.
- Cut out the fabric you will use for the pillow (I used a record sleeve to make a perfect square).
- Pin the ampersand to the pillow fabric. Pinning is a very important step, it will insure that you will be able to sew the ampersand on without any bubbling or other issues.
- Hand sew the two pieces of fabric together. (Bonus points if you do it while drinking tea on the front porch like I did.)
- Lay the front and the back of the pillow fabric together with the ampersand facing in so that when you sew it & flip it right side out, the seams will be on the inside. (did that make sense?)
- Pin and sew the edged of the pillow fabric leaving a small opening to stuff the pillow.
- Flip the pillow inside out & stuff.
- Fold in the edges of the opening, pin & sew closed.
- Fluff the pillow and break up any lumps in the stuffing.
Now you have your own ampersand pillow! What’s your favorite go-to craft on a bad day? We’d love to hear about them in the comments below!