When I cook Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner for more than just John and I, I tend to make an array of entrees with at least 2 of them being some sort of holiday roast. It could be that I like to stick to what I know, but Tofurkey tends to be my favorite of all. However, if the preparation isn’t up to par, it can be quite the dried up loaf of disaster! This is why I want to share my secret guide to the Holiday Tofurkey!
Here’s What You Need:
- 1 Tofurkey Roast (not the big dinner pack)
- 32oz of Mushroom Gravy (I used Organic Imagine Natural Creations Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy)
- 2-3 Cups of Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 Large Red Potatoes
- 2 Large Carrots
- 1 Large Yellow Onion
- 4 Tbs (or 1/2 stick) of Earth Balance Vegan Butter
Here’s What You Do:
- With your hands, coat the entire Tofurkey Roast with the vegan butter & place it in the crock pot*
- Chop the potatoes, carrots and onion into large chunks and place in the crock pot with the roast.
- Place the mushrooms on top & cover with mushroom gravy (the roast should barely peek out)
- Let it simmer on the highest setting over night (or 8-10 hours)
- Place the Tofurkey on a pretty dish, surrounded by the veggies, slice and enjoy!
*If you don’t have a crock pot, you can cover and bake the roast in a large glass pan at 200 degrees for 4-6 hours.
I shared my first experience with the Gardein Holiday Roast yesterday and it was amazing. However, the Tofurkey crock pot combo gets me every time – it is so tender that it literally melts in your mouth! We’ve had a few requests for Field Roast and Trader Joe’s Vegan Roast, so keep an eye out for more Battle of the Brands! I’ll also be sharing some fun ideas for what to do with your leftover gravy!
How do you prepare your Tofurkey Roast or which Holiday Roast is your favorite?