I mean, our bodies really are amazing. We don’t even have to think about the complex process of digesting food and putting nutrients where they go, it just happens! Our bodies do and can do so much more than we even know!
Know whats even better about us specifically? Our bodies do all of those amazing things running on plants!
How cool is that?!
There are a lot of incredible Vegan athletes! So many that there is a website dedicated to just a few of them. (Feel free to show this to any of your meat eating friends that question your ability to even survive on plants.)
Now I am certainly not one of those incredible athletes, I would bet so many of you could out sports me, but I do enjoy running. If you would have asked me a year ago how I felt about the sport I would have laughed in your face. I gave up any of my athleticism, especially that terrible thing called running, after a knee injury and thought I had hung it up forever. Until I made a positive goal to run in a half marathon. I learned a lot about my body during the training process. But more importantly I learned a lot about how important it is for us to connect to our bodies and be able to listen to them, trust them, and take care of them. Our bodies are a lot smarter than our brains.
These are a few of my Favorite Vegan Fitness Finds:
1. Altra Zero Drop Shoes | I am in love with these shoes. They are created to put your foot in its natural stance. It’s like barefoot running but just enough cushioning that you feel like your walking barefoot on a cloud. I also really appreciate the “learn to run” educational information they put out there. I was able to change my form and lose my ITband pain. These shoes are great for more than running. Visit their site to find out which are best for your needs. (Note: If possible, always visit a running store to be fitted for proper shoes even if you aren’t running.)
2. Vega Recovery Accelerator | This product is only needed after excessive exercise. What I mean by that is I don’t always drink this after an hour of Yoga but maybe after an hour of something more strenuous. I personally don’t usually feel like eating after being active. I would much rather throw this packet into a bottle and drink. Plus, if I am honest I am way too lazy to try and figure out if I am eating the proper 4:1 carb and protein ratio that this drink has.
3. Heed Sports Drink | Energy, Electrolytes, and no artificial sugar yuck. Need I say more? This drink does more than hydrate you it fuels you!
4. Hammer Energy Gels | These gels are my favorite. They have all the right nutrients, and a taste for everyone. You can buy bottles to divvy out your own servings or individual packets that fit perfectly in your pocket.
5. No Meat Athlete | I saved my most favorite for last. This book is one of those that quickly got folded corners and a worn out spine. I would recommend this book to anyone following a Vegan diet, active or not. There is a lot of positive information about goals, habits, and diet. You just might be inspired to become more active yourself.
So here is my Fit February Challenge to you: Do something positive for your body. Create a positive habit that connects you to YOU!
Are you a parent with too much stress? Make a habit of waking up before the kids to do yoga or meditate. You just might just discover you have less desire to yell/cry/pull your hair out/lock yourself in the bathroom/all of the above.
Maybe you are a student who needs a break? Make a habit of studying for a few hours then running for thirty. You will probably hate that paper you were writing a little less after thinking about all the ways you would destroy it on your run.
Whatever it is, do something that makes you feel connected! Keep notes of what works and what doesn’t. Surround yourself with positive people who will keep you on your game . You will appreciate it and your body will even more!
What are your goals that can be achieved by a new habit? Do you have any favorite fitness products you can’t live without?