Since today is the last day of school before winter break (for most kids around here), I figured I’d share this super simple Holiday Garland DIY. You definitely don’t need kids to make it, but if you have them, it’s an awesome way to have fun with your family and keep the kids occupied! It also puts any extra ornaments you have lying around to use!
This entire project took me under an hour to make and would have been even faster if Judah didn’t want to snatch up all of the ornaments and haul ass out of the room!
Here’s what you need:
- Twine (this stuff doubled as my present ribbon so none of it went to waste)
- Screw Hooks (we used 5, but the amount will depend on how long you want your garland. You will need a minimum of 3)
- Leftover Ornaments (or pretty new ones if you’d like)
Here’s how you make the garland:
- First you want to measure your twine (not pictured). Make it double the length you would like it to be at the end. This will allow room for knots, loops and hanging.
- Fold the rope in half and tie a small loop right in the center. This is going to be your center hook loops.
This is where the photos start- you’re going to add your ornaments. Be sure to start at least 6-8 inches from your loop. If you want to be super precise, you can mark where you want to place each ornament on the rope. I just eyeballed it.
- Slide your ornament to where you’d like it.
- Remove the ball from the ornament and create a small loop.
- Knot it!
- Place the ornament and top back together.
- Move to the next piece.
I placed 4 ornaments between each loop for a total of 16 ornaments and 5 loops/hooks. This will vary dependent on how many ornaments you have and how long you’d like the garland. Once you’re finished adding the ornaments, tie another loop at each end. You can cut off the excess or just wrap it around your hooks!
Happy (Holiday) Crafting!
What are some of your favorite holiday crafts? Feel free to link to them in the comments below. We’d love to check them out!
PS: Judah is over on the OhDearDrea blog today along with some of his favorite meals as part of her Vegan Kitchen Series! Feel free to head over to check it out if you’d like!