We must admit, we love the potato in all of its forms: french fried, mashed, smashed, baked, creamed, boiled, au gratin (the vegan versions, of course). However, it’s more like one of those “special occasion” vegetables for us. You know, the kind that you plan for all week then indulge your craving on that designated day, knowing it will put you in a food coma afterwards.
That’s what’s so great about mashed cauliflower! While it doesn’t taste exactly like the potato, it is equally delicious-And if you want, you can get it to the consistency of mashed potatoes (or even rice!) without the side of guilt. We’re going to share the mashed version today. This recipe is so simple & requires very little effort which makes the final product even more enjoyable!
What You Need:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Remove the leaves from the base of the cauliflower (Be sure to trim them all the way to the “stump”) & wash well *If you choose, you can actually throw the leaves in the pan to bake as well!
- Place cauliflower top down into an oven safe dish
- Stuff rosemary, & basil as far as you can into the gaps between stalks
- Pour oil over the openings, then the water as well
- Plug the holes up with the garlic cloves & sprinkle with salt
- Bake covered for 30 minutes then remove cover & continue baking for another 30 minutes or until browned on top *You can bake uncovered the entire time for a dryer & less smooth product
- Remove dish from the oven & cut into 8 large chunks (like a pizza)
- Pour all of the cooked ingredients (including oil & water) into the food processor & blend on high until desired texture is reached
- Add salt, pepper & cayenne to taste & mix well
Sometimes we eat this dish by itself or pair it with a big plate of veggies. The options are endless though! How will you eat your vegan mashed cauliflower?
**Please note that mine came out a little different color as I added it to the food processor after making kale pesto.
Photo label courtesy of Pugly Pixel.