I used to make vegan chick-un salad for my husband all the time, using seitan in place of the meat. However the gluten really doesn’t go over well with me, so I’ve been meaning to test out a new way of making the dish.
The first few times with the chickpea version were delicious, but I was leaving the beans whole which caused an issue when trying to put it on a sandwich, crackers, or really anything for that matter. This final version is new, improved and what was for lunch today (and possibly dinner). It’s that good, folks.
What You Need:
- 3 cans of chickpeas (garbonzo beans)
- 1 can of sweet green peas (I HATE these things any other time, so if you’re skeptical, give it a try!)
- 1 large bell pepper, diced into small squares
- 3 stalks of celery, cut down the middle then into little half moons
- 1/2 cup of veganaise (more or less if you prefer)
- salt and pepper to taste
What You Do:
- Drain your chickpeas, cover and place in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- Dice your pepper and celery then set aside.
- Once the chickpeas are ready, smash them up with a large fork (they will be tender while warm). You may still have a few whole beans in there, but that’s okay – you want it chunky, not hummus-y.
- Mix the veganaise in with the chickpeas then add the pepper and celery to the concoction.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (if you use salted beans, you won’t need to much of the first) and mix well.
- Toss in your can of (drained) peas and stir carefully so you don’t smash them.
I like to make this really basic version to start as it appeals to everyone. However, it lasts for a couple of days, so I keep a few spices on hand for those times i feel like changing it up a bit. You can mix in curry powder, paprika, hot sauce, etc. (all at different times, of course) to make a completely different flavored dish in a matter of seconds!
I hope you enjoy it! What dishes do you miss and want to see veg-i-fied?