Growing up in an extremely southern family, Mac & Cheese is a staple. Not the craft kind, but the thick, baked, soul food kind. This dish also seems to be one of the primary food items many believe they would miss when going vegan.
After many trial runs, we are ready to share with you a Mac & Cheese recipe that is sure to wow even the most skeptical of carnivores…
Here’s what you need:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Boil noodles in water until tender, rinse with cold water, strain & set aside
- Place entire packet of tofu in the food processor until it reaches a thick ricotta-esq texture (or mash well with a fork)
- Prepare egg replacer with water according to box then combine with oilve oil & tofu scramble packets to the blended tofu. Mix/Blend well.
- Pour the concoction from #3, prepared noodles & Daiya cheese into one large pot & mix well. (The noodles should be completely covered)
- Transfer to an oven safe pyrex dish & bake for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is fully melted & the noodles are slightly crispy & brown on top **A little trick: press the noodle mixture tightly into the dish before baking for a thicker/more dense product
- Serve to a hungry crowd. You don’t even have to tell them its vegan!
We like to pair the dish with steamed broccoli & Gardein’s orange chick-un for an animal friendly version of one of our favorite comfort meals!
Let us know what you think!
What would you miss if going vegan? Send us some of your favorite recipes to have them veg-i-fied!