When I was growing up my sweet treat of choice was always Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. As I got older I started shying away from the sweetness milk chocolate in favor of more rich dark chocolate. As I got wiser I started reading the back of packages and the long lists of ingredients. Reese’s have 15 ingredients and, of course they are not vegan.
We decided to whip up a batch of peanut butter cups Vegan Housewives style. These babies only have 4 ingredients, are vegan, and are not super sweet like their milk chocolate counterpart. Since there is only 4 ingredients it’s a pretty simple recipe, the trickiest part is filling the cupcake liners. Have no fear, we took some step by step pictures of the process for you!
What You Need:
- In a glass bowl melt 2 cups of morsels and 2 tsp of coconut oil in the microwave
- While the chocolate is melting- mix the powdered sugar, peanut butter and 1/8 cup or coconut oil together. *I find it easiest to mix it with my hands.
- Place cupcake liners into muffin tins.
- Make a piping bag for the peanut butter filling by placing a freezer sized plastic bag into a big cup with a bottom corner at the bottom.
- Pour peanut butter filling into the bag and twist the top, pushing the filling towards the corner.
- Cut a hole in the corner to squeeze the mixture out of.
- Spread about a Tbs of chocolate into the bottom of the liners.
- Squeeze the peanut butter mixture onto the chocolate; don’t worry if it isn’t in perfect circle.
- If your remaining chocolate has cooled down quite a bit, heat it up for a few seconds then pour about a Tbs of the warm chocolate over the peanut butter and smooth it out with a spoon, spatula or finger. *The warm chocolate will help melt the peanut butter mixture a bit and get it all to lay nicely.
- Refrigerate until set.
- To make them extra pretty, cut the wrapping around the top of the chocolate.
Now try your hardest not to eat the whole batch, but we won’t judge you if you do! These could also be good with different nut butters or a chunky variety. Try playing around and tell up what you think!
What’s your favorite candy?