What do you make when giving a Baja baby shower for a vegetarian with mostly vegan friends and family members? Tacos, of course! And what better to stuff them with than refried beans?!
When we were planning our fillings, Katie mentioned a friend whom had a great homemade refried bean recipe. She told me that they cooked a huge batch in a crock pot, which seemed perfect! I never thought about making my own refried beans, so I went to work on researching how to do it!
It turns out it is a pretty simple process! Long. But simple none-the-less. I used this awesome (non-vegan) recipe as a base, veganizing it and adding a few of my own touches. Here’s what I came up with:
- 1 bag of dry pinto beans
- 1c vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti brand)
- 1c vegan cheddar cheese (I used Daiya shreds)
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 2 Tbs cumin
- Sea Salt (or a bit of Braags Liquid Aminos) and Black Pepper to taste
- Follow directions on the pinto bean package for soaking beans overnight.
- The following morning you need to rinse the beans well and then place your beans into your crock pot. Fill it up with water to just cover the beans and place on low for 6-8 hours. Note: they will STINK! I have a covered porch and placed them out there once they started to release their not so pleasant aroma throughout my home.
- Be sure to always keep an eye on any beans you are cooking to see if they need more water added throughout their cooking time.
- When your beans are nice and soft, remove them and set the water aside (don’t toss it)
- Next you can use either a food processor or blender (I used my handheld blender) to begin mashing the beans. Be sure to do it in smaller batches as to not burn yourself! If you find your beans are just too thick, add small amounts of that reserved liquid from earlier and blend until desired smoothness.
- Lastly, stir in your garlic, seasonings, cheese and sour cream.
- Serve with all the fixins!
Unfortunately, I didn’t take any photos of the actual beans (I didn’t realize I’d be joining Vegan Housewives at the time)! However, I hope you will enjoy this simple vegan recipe as much as we did! Be sure to check out Katie’s recipe for the taco veggies she made to accompany our homemade vegan refried bean tacos.
Which vegan recipes have you tried out for a party you hosted in your home?