To me, December is a time for fun- baking with the kids, afternoon crafts, and spontaneous holiday outings. I love it because we can push aside some of our never ending “to-do lists” and just enjoy this special time of year. One of my favorite ways to spend time with my kids is through baking. When you’re creating Christmas desserts from scratch like cakes and pies, it incorporates math, teaches them some home economics, and in the end we get a yummy treat!
However, if you’re not a “baker” like me, making easy no-bake holiday treats can get you and your kids in the kitchen, reaping the benefits of quality time together but not having to do a ton of work! lol
When I was a child I loved “Rice Krispy Treats.” This all changed when I became a vegan and I realized what was really holding those sticky squares together. I wanted my kids to be able to enjoy a similar treat (minus the cruelty), and was inspired one day when I came across Peanut Butter & Co.’s “White Chocolate Wonderful.” The name certainly fits, and the taste reminded me of marshmallow fluff, leading me to experiment and create my own version of vegan crispy treats.
- 1 container Peanut Butter and Co. White Chocolate Wonderful
- 2 Tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
- 1 11.5oz Box Nature’s Path EnviroKidz Chocolate Koala Crisp
- Coconut oil (grease your baking dish with this)
- In a saucepan, heat the peanut butter and vegan butter on low until melted, stirring constantly with a spoon (you don’t want to burn it, so don’t walk away!). You can also use the double boiler method.
- Remove from heat, pour in the rice cereal, and stir until all the cereal is coated.
- Transfer and press treats firmly into a 9 x 12 greased baking dish.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes (when they completely cool, they will harden together).
- Cut into squares.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!