For the baby shower, we wanted simple, vegan food that could feed a lot of people easily. We decided on tacos, because really, who doesn’t like tacos? Instead of doing fake meat we classed it up a little bit with rice, homemade vegan refried beans and all of the fixings…including taco pickles to top it off. As you may already know, we love pickles! And they’re so easy to make!
I got the idea for taco pickles from this blog and used most of the same veggies just a different pickling solution. The recipe will vary a bit depending on what you put in and how much. But what’s great is: it can really be catered to any veggie.
I included: radishes, carrots, jalapenos, cilantro, & purple onions. Kortney made them a second time and also included those mini, colorful sweet peppers in her batch.
You can adjust the heat based on how much jalapeno you put in and whether or not you the add seeds (since that’s where their heat comes from). I sliced my jalapenos thinly with my food processor (along with all of the other veggies) then mixed them up and put them in a jar.
For the pickling solution, I used equal parts simple syrup to equal parts white vinegar. To make a simple syrup:
- Add equal parts water & sugar to a pot & bring it to a boil.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Let that cool a little bit and then pour it into a glass measuring cup.
- Add equal parts vinegar (I used white vinegar but you can experiment with different types).
- Pour the still warm solution over the veggies (the liquid should cover the veggies completely).
- Leave the jar out on the counter until it cools down and then stick it in the refrigerator.
Side Note: Be careful not to stir this solution with your hands! Kortney made that mistake & had what seemed to be a chemical burn!
You can eat these pickles right away or keep them for a few weeks. I think the sweet spot is after just a few days.
Have you ever pickled veggies? What are some of your favorite recipes and what do you like to eat them with?