This is by far the number one request I get from clients in the salon. Everyone want to know how to curl their hair with a flat iron. If you want curls and your in my chair at the salon 9 times out of 10 I will use my flat iron. If you ever see me with curls, know that I used my flat iron to achieve them. It seems so easy, and it is, once you learn how to do it properly.
One great thing about these curls is how versatile they are. You can change the style by changing the direction of the curl (curling forward instead of back). You can get Veronica lake style curls or Victoria Secret waves. It’s all about playing with sections, directions and partings.
I did not speed up this video at all so you could see how my hands are moving (and so you could watch me being awkward in front of the camera for 8 minutes). I recommend you watch it with your flat iron in hand. Don’t turn it on, just practice the movement. Once you think you have it down you can turn it on & try to see if you get a curl.
Music by Beirut
If it’s not working here are some things to trouble shoot:
- You’re gripping the flat iron too tightly or not tightly enough. This seems to be the number one problem I see.
- You’re flat iron is too big or not hot enough.
- The sections of hair are too big.
- Your hair is not 100% dry (please tell me you know better).
- Your partings are not clean & clipped up so you’re getting tangled in your hair.
- You have very fine straight hair- in which case use a little hair spray before you curl your sections.
Hope you try this & love it! Let me know if you have any questions, or other tutorial recommendations.