There’s a reason movie stars say their biggest beauty tip is drinking lots of water. Not only does staying hydrated leave you with beautiful skin but it also helps you function properly. Since your body is made up of about 70% water, you need to constantly replenish. Did you know that many people are chronically dehydrated and don’t even know it?
Here are a few signs we’ve learned (from personal physicians & the Mayo Clinic) that could mean you’re chronically dehydrated:
- Urinary tract infections
- Weight problems
- Fatigue, energy loss
- Asthma or allergies
- Joint pain
- Gastrointestinal issues
- Dry mouth
- Lack of sweat or tears
- Loss of elasticity in skin
- Rapid heartbeat and/or breathing
Reading that list really made us want to get a big cold glass of water! However, drinking the recommended amount gets difficult sometimes. Here are a few tricks that help us exceed our 8 glass per day minimum:
- Get a water bottle (or even a gallon jug)! Carry it around with you every where you go, making sure you’re drinking all day long & refilling when needed.
- Keep track of how much you are drinking. Know the size of your cup/bottle and how many refills it takes to drink at least 64 oz.
- If you’re feeling hungry, drink some water. Sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger.
- Eat something sticky or spicy. Try crackers, nut butters, salsa or curry. Those always make us drink!
- Wake up to water. Drink a full glass of water when you wake up to get your body working, then a full glass before each meal (this also prevents over-eating)!
- Set a goal. Finish 2 glasses before lunch, 3 glasses before 5:00, and 3 more before bed.
- Order Up. Drink water when you’re out instead of soda/ beer/ coffee/ tea.
- Add some flavor! Lemons, limes, berries, mint or cucumbers can add a little flair to plain water.
- Do you forget to drink? Set an alarm and when it rings drink a whole glass.
- Keep it handy. When you have cold filtered water in the refrigerator, you always have some ready to drink.
- Fill cups with crushed ice & much all day! This is not only Kortney’s morning sickness trick, but it’s also way better than plain water!
We hope you’ll join with us in our water quest! Do you have any tricks that help you drink more water?